Information seen as central to IT architecture and top priorities and challenges are ranked
Austin, TX – December 12, 2011 – The Bloor Group announces the publication of a survey-based report on enterprise business intelligence architecture titled, “A New Awareness: The Age of Architecture Has Arrived.” The headline finding is that more than half of enterprises (51%) surveyed now have developed an Information Oriented Architecture (IOA), a young concept in the IT field. Another top observation is that a large majority of enterprises (71%) are not yet planning parallel software development projects, such as ones involving Hadoop, despite the high level of buzz for the topic.
The survey asked questions about the maturity of Information Oriented Architecture strategies, use and plans for data management and BI tools, movement toward cloud solutions, top IT-related challenges, and IT and business priorities. Additional interesting discoveries were:
- Data governance is growing in prominence. While only 17% of respondents have a program in place, 21% are currently in the implementation phase, with another 36% planning to do so. Only 27% have no plans.
- Of BI applications, traditional reporting is the most prevalent, having already been deployed by 71% of the survey takers. Dashboards, while not new, have been deployed by 51% and are at the top of the list of "currently being deployed" applications. Predictive analytics scored the highest among "plan to implement."
- The biggest IT challenges were information silos and data quality.
- Cloud adoption appears lower than the hype, with only 5% reporting extensive use and 51% with no plans for deployment.
- The #1 and #2 ranked IT priorities for 2012 were integration with operational processes and self-service BI.
This report, authored by Rebecca Jozwiak and Eric Kavanagh, describes and interprets the results of a survey fielded from June to October of 2011. Three hundred eighteen respondents from a wide range of enterprises (39% of which had revenues in excess of US$1B) took the survey.
The full report with summary charts is available for download at no charge for all registrants thanks to the sponsorship of InetSoft Technology, an innovator in data mashup-driven dashboard and reporting solutions. Please visit http://www.inetsoft.com/evaluate/whitepapers/#bi_survey
About The Bloor Group
Founded by IT industry veterans Eric Kavanagh and Robin Bloor, The Bloor Group has the goal of expanding normal analyst activities into broadcasting and publishing. Like other analyst companies, it pursues a planned research program, writes blogs and publishes technology articles. However, The Bloor Group also broadcasts a series of live analyst briefings, radio programs and webinars (to be made available also as podcasts) and publishes IT books. Please visit www.thevirtualcircle.com for more information.
Since 1996 InetSoft has been delivering easy, agile, and robust business intelligence software that makes it possible for organizations and solution providers of all sizes to deploy or embed full-featured business intelligence solutions. Application highlights include visually-compelling and interactive dashboards that ensure greater end-user adoption plus pixel-perfect report generation, scheduling, and bursting. InetSoft’s patent pending Data Block™ technology enables productive reuse of queries and a unique capability for end-user defined data mashup. This capability combined with efficient information access enabled by InetSoft’s visual analysis technologies allows maximum self-service that benefits the average business user, the IT administrator, and the developer. InetSoft solutions have been deployed at over 3,000 organizations worldwide, including 25% of Fortune 500 companies, spanning all types of industries. For more information, media and analysts may contact: